In an emergency situation, we may not have access to a toothbrush or toothpaste, so here is a few ideas to solve this problem!
- Make a chewing stick. Find a twig, about 8 inches long and 1/3 of an inch wide. Chew one end of the stick to separate the fibers and then brush away.
- Wrap a clean strip of cloth around your fingers and rub your teeth with it to wipe away food particles.
- You can brush your teeth with small amounts of sand, baking soda, salt or soap. Just rinse thoroughly.
While it’s hard to plan for dental mishaps, it’s a good idea to pack a small just-in-case bag replete with some tooth repair basics. It should contain:
- Salt packets
- Q-tips (in case you want to swab the area)
- Ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory painkiller
- A small container (if you lose a crown or piece)
- A phone number of a dentist
- A pack of sugar-free gum